Who You Are
I welcome in my therapy room adults of all genders, sexualities, races, ethnicities, abilities, and religions/spiritualities (including none), and I invite patients to bring the fullness of themselves into our work together.
And yet it's possible -- even likely -- that if you're here, you're perplexed about who you are at all.
You've probably been through a lot of things that have tested your sense of self, made you uncertain who exactly you'll be from day to day. That's okay, and it doesn't mean you're a bad person.
It means you're human.
Trapped in the Traumatic Past
The humans I work best with are adults who, while functional on the outside, feel stuck inside: trapped in old patterns, triggered by old memories, twisting in that "Who am I?" space where it's easy to get paralyzed by things like:
- Poor self-esteem or self-confidence.
- Mistrust or distancing in relationships.
- Highly active inner critic.
- Difficulty making decisions.
- Hard-to-enforce boundaries.
- Chronic busyness and over-commitment.
- People-pleasing and "chameleoning."
- Fear of abandonment.
- Uncertain sense of self.
- Shame, fear, anxiety, panic, sadness, or depression.
Yes, these are tough challenges, but it is possible to take them on, even if you have a history of abuse, neglect, or other trauma. You can break free from what holds you back and begin to live the life you choose -- to become who you are really meant to be.
Dreaming of a Different Future
The problem is, sometimes you don't know who you were meant to be, or you know but you can't quite feel it, or maybe -- on a really good day -- you feel it briefly but then you lose the feeling again and you don't know what to do to get it back. You'd like to do things like:
- Leave the past in the past -- where it belongs
- Replace bad habits with healthy ones
- Break dysfunctional patterns
- Be in control of your own life
- Feel more joy and contentment than sadness and fear
- Feel good in your body
- Strengthen your self-worth, self-respect, and self-esteem
- Find and keep love, meaning, and purpose
- Feel a sense of connection and belonging in the world
But how? How do you get there from here? In therapy we'll work together to find the right path for you and help you stay on it even when it seems hardest.
START YOUR HEALING JOURNEY NOW
The first step toward starting therapy with me is to schedule a phone screening to make sure we're a good fit. If we are, then on the phone we'll schedule our first face-to-face meeting to take place at my office in Tacoma, Washington; thereafter all meetings will be in person. If we're not a good fit, I'll provide you referrals and resources so you can connect with the right therapist for you.
Click here to schedule a phone screening today. (You are also welcome to call me at (253) 973-2218 but it's usually quicker to connect with me if you start by submitting your message at the link above.) Or, if you're not quite ready to connect, read further to find out more before scheduling.
I look forward to connecting with you!